To download these instructions as a PDF, click here: Credo Screenreader Tips - Downloadable PDF.
Tab - move forward through each link or form element
Shift-Tab - move backwards through the links
Spacebar - toggles the check when focus is on a checkbox
Up and down arrows - change selection when focus is on a selection list
Left and right arrows - move back and forth between radio buttons in a radio button group
Navigating the Site
The first link on any page is Skip to Main Content. This skips navigation elements in the header and takes you to the page’s main content.
- Home Page - skips to the featured content carousel and subject links
- Search Results - skips to the top of the search results list
- Entry Page - skips to controls for the entry content
To find the search bar, start at the top of the page and tab through the heading links. Listen for the “SearchPhrase” prompt. This is where you will type your search phrase in the search box.
- The screen reader will read: “Search Phrase. Hint: Search for anything.”
- To search, type your search phrase and hit enter.
Browsing Search Results
Use the first link on the page, Skip to Main Content, to skip to the search results.
The first header will be “Topic Pages” (<h3>). Topic pages are featured articles about a topic. A thumbnail image appears before the title link of some topic pages.
After Topic Pages, the rest of your search results are listed. These are all full-text articles.The title of the article is read, followed by the title of the book that the article comes from.
After each Topic Page and article link there is a Quick View Button and a Save button.
- Quick view will open a brief blurb from the article.
- Save will add the article to your saved results folder for the length of your session
Entry Page Controls
To listen to the entry text, navigate to the Listen Button. If your browser supports access keys, hit the ACCESS KEY + L and Credo’s built-in reader will read the entry to you.
- Firefox: ALT+SHIFT+L
- Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera: ALT + L
To access other entry-page functions, use Skip to Main Content to skip to the entry controls, and use Tab to scroll through these options:
- Back to Search Results - returns to the search results page
- Search this book… - search within the book the entry is taken from
- Browse book - browse the entries within the book
- Previous Article and Next Article - move sequentially through entries/chapters of the book
- Listen Button - Will read the content of the entry with our built-in Readspeaker
- Cite - generates a citation for the entry
- Print/Export - Print and export options
- Email - email the entry to yourself or others
- Embed Code - Generates an embed code for faculty and librarians.
- Translate - Translates the entry content using Google Translate
- Save - Saves the entry to your Saved Results folder for the length of your session