Running Statistics Reports
To generate usage reports, you'll need your Admin or Stats credentials. This information is provided in the Admin welcome email sent at onboarding, or is always available upon request. The Admin Module can be found at https://admin.credoreference.com/.
There are four types of usage reports you can generate:
1. Monthly reports
If you wish to obtain usage for a single month, go to Usage Statistics > Credo Reference Reports:
Select a month and your parameters, and the report will open in a new window.
2. Custom Reports
If you wish to obtain usage for a longer period of time, or generate an Excel spreadsheet with the data, go to Usage Statistics > Custom Reports:
Specify a date range, the information you'd like ("Session Search and Retrieval Activity" and "Top Search Terms" are popular reports), click the buttons for parameters (title, ISBN, etc), and choose a format: either HTML or Excel.
If you’ve subscribed to or purchased Add-on content, and you’re interested in distinguishing usage of this content, you can do so using the “Title Usage by Collection” report at the bottom of this page. This report is based on the COUNTER BR2 report, but additionally shows the collection information in column C (miscellaneous purchased titles are called “Add-on Content”). It also excludes usage of titles found only through Topic Page entries, and not otherwise accessible in your account.
Unlike other title usage reports, this report will also display titles with zero usage for the specified time period.
Credo Statistics Report Terminology
- Session: A successful log-in to Credo Reference. A session starts when a user connects to Credo and ends when the user leaves Credo through exit or logout or with a session timeout due to user inactivity.
- Searches: The number of searches submitted using the search form on Credo Reference. This includes searches completed through the basic or advanced search forms.
- Section Request: a single access of our content (entries or Topic Pages).
- Entries Viewed: The number of full text entries viewed. Topic Pages count as two entries viewed if the "Expand Definition" link is clicked.
- Page Views: The number of times specific pages were viewed by visitors. Pages can include entries, books, advanced search, crossword solver, etc.
- Type: The Credo product category of each title: either Core Collection (Type 1) or Add-on Content (Type 2). If your institution has not purchased or subscribed to Add-on Content, your titles will all be Type 1.
We offer COUNTER R4 PR-1, BR-2, BR-3, and PR-6 Reports. You can select a range on this page and generate a report in Excel with the data. These reports are only available for the previous two years of usage; for older data, use the custom reports (option 2 above). Our COUNTER Compliance documents can be found here: Audit Result, Certificate
COUNTER BR-3 reports offer statistics on patrons turned away from accessing an entry. Reasons for turnaway include the following:
- Multiple users attempting access of a single-user title. Since there are no single-user titles in the Core Collections, this report will not be relevant to most of our customers.
- Following a link from your Discovery service to a title not in your account. If you are having issues with limiting to accessible results, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for troubleshooting help.
- Accessing a catalog listing for a title no longer in your account due to title retirements. To rectify your catalog, download purge records in Admin here or contact email@example.com for a list of retired titles.
The PR-6 report is deprecated in COUNTER Release 4, but we are continuing to host this information for now.
Starting April 1, 2018, we are offering COUNTER R5 compliant data. Please note that these reports (other than the Book Access Denied Report) track newly captured data, and will not be available for months prior to April 2018.
Platform Master Report - This report shows the number of searches, "item investigations" (how many times entries were viewed or previewed, as on the search results page), "item requests" (entries viewed), and unique item investigations/requests. See the "COUNTER Report Terminology" section below for more information.
Platform Usage Report - This report filters down the master report to just the number of searches, item requests, and unique requests.
Book Requests Report - This report shows all titles within your account and the number of item requests (entries viewed) in each title by month.
Book Access Denied Report - This report lists single user titles from which users were turned away in the reporting period and the number of turnaway events for each title. This report is the equivalent of the COUNTER R4 BR-3 report, and can include data prior to April 2018. Since all Core Collection titles support unlimited user access, this report should be blank for most customers.
COUNTER Report Terminology
- Total_Items_Investigations: A COUNTER Metric_Type that represents the number of times users accessed the content (i.e. full text) of an item, or information describing that item (i.e. an abstract). For Credo purposes, this includes entries viewed and any entry previews/blurbs appearing in search results.
- Unique_Item_Investigations: A COUNTER “Metric Type” that represents the number of unique “Content Items” investigated in a user-session. For Credo purposes, this is a count of entries accessed or previewed at least once in the reporting time period; multiple views or previews of a single entry in that time period are not included.
- Total_Item_Requests: A COUNTER Metric_Type that represents the number of times users requested the full content (i.e. full text) of an item. Requests may take the form of viewing, downloading, emailing, or printing content provided such actions can be tracked by the content provider’s server. For Credo, this is a count of entries viewed in full and any action (downloading as PDF, emailing, etc) this entry.
- Unique_Item_Requests: A COUNTER “Metric Type” that represents the number of unique titles investigated in a user-session. For Credo, this is a count of entries viewed at least once in the reporting time period; multiple views of a single entry in that time period are not included.
Definitions from https://www.projectcounter.org/appendix-glossary-terms/
For more information about COUNTER R5, see the "Friendly Guide to Release 5 for Librarians" published by Project Counter.
4. SUSHI Reports
Information on running SUSHI reports can be found here:
If you'd like further help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
- How are searches counted?
Every query entered is counted as a search, and every results page viewed is counted as a search. If a user scrolls through three pages of search results (one page is ten results) for the term “DNA," the search count for “DNA” would be 3.
Some normalization of the search terms is completed. For example, queries for “brain” or “Brain” would be counted as the same search term.
- How are entries counted?
Every entry viewed during a session is counted. If an entry is displayed, printed, emailed or saved multiple times in a session, each event will be counted.
- What counts as a page view?
For the Page View report, every page visited during a session is counted. For pages with tabs (Find a Book or Book browse), only one page view is counted even if the user visits multiple tabs within the page.
- How quickly are statistics available?
Credo Online Reference Service statistics are updated in real time.
- What does it mean if a month is unavailable in the stats timeline?
This means that there was no recorded usage for this period - if this is the case, please contact email@example.com for usage troubleshooting and promotional ideas.
- How long does Credo keep usage statistics?
Custom reports are available back to 2011. Monthly and COUNTER reports are available for the last two years.
- Is it possible to separate remote access statistics from in-library usage?
Yes! Log-ins using a username/password or a library card will automatically be counted as remote usage. If you have a proxy, we'll need to separate out the IP for it to count as remote usage. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to specify your proxy IP; we'll update your account so that proxy access will be logged separately going forward.
- Is Credo COUNTER-compliant?
Yes! Credo Reference provides standardized usage reports that are in compliance with the COUNTER R-4 Code of Practice for Books and Reference Works. Download a PDF of our compliance certificate here. We are also pending an audit of our COUNTER R-5 compliance.
- Is Credo's SUSHI XML compatible with the EBSCO usage harvesting project?
We are currently incompatible with direct harvesting, but stats can be added manually. Just download a COUNTER Report 2, update the "Platform" field to read "Credo Reference" for all entries, and then upload the file in the EBSCO usage stats Admin under "Load Usage." We're working on direct compatibility with this system.
- I have purchased or subscribed to Add-on Content. How can I see this title usage?
Use the “Title Usage by Collection” report at the bottom of the custom reports page. This report is based on the COUNTER BR2 report, but additionally shows the collection information in column C (miscellaneous titles are called “Add-on Content”). Unlike other title usage reports, this report will also display titles with zero usage for the specified time period.